Nowadays, there are many ways for people to remain anonymous while surfing the Internet but regarding popularity, Virtual Private Network (VPN) is second to none. By taking advantage of VPN, Windows users could secure their network, access geo-blocked sites and so on. That being said, the use of VPN on Windows PC is not free of frustration and the failure to install TAP adapter is a prime example. Read to the end if your PC has failed to install TAP adapter time and again.
In layman’s terms, cached data allows your PC to open the application quickly the next time you open them. Still, if the cache of your VPN app becomes corrupted, things could go haywire. Needless to say, in discussions about the failure to install TAP adapter, corruption of cached data is the number one suspect.
You have multiple VPN applications on your Windows computer and they have their own TAP adapters? Then there is a chance that the applications would come into conflict with each other which leads to errors. On the bright side, if your computer failed to install TAP adapter due to conflicting software, there is no need to do much.
For your information, firewall is a network security system that uses previously established policies to monitor incoming and outgoing network traffic. However, it’s not uncommon for the firewall to overreact and classify the operation of apps like VPN as suspicious. If VPN is in the crosshair of firewall, the failure to install TAP adapter is one of the consequences.
Run As Administrator
In the beginning, you should run your VPN app as admin and in compatibility mode.
- Step 1: From the desktop, right-click the application’s shortcut then pick Properties.
- Step 2: Go to the Compatibility tab, check the checkbox below Compatibility mode and select your Windows version via the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Check the checkbox beside Run as administrator then choose Apply and hit to save changes.
- Step 4: Launch your application again
Uninstall And Reinstall
Whenever VPN apps act up out of the blue, it’s wise to consider uninstalling and reinstalling them. That is going to get rid of corrupted cache and restore operations to normal.
- Step 1: Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Double-click Apps then pick Apps & features.
- Step 3: Select your VPN app and choose Uninstall.
- Step 4: Proceed to open Windows Explorer then delete the application’s setup files.
- Step 5: Launch your web browser, visit your VPN’s site then download the setup files again.
- Step 6: Once the download completes, restart your computer and install the application.
- Step 7: Launch your VPN and see how things turn out.
Remove Other VPN Applications
To reduce the chances of software conflicts, you will have to uninstall all but one VPN on your device.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key, type settings then hit Enter.
- Step 2: In Settings, select Apps then choose Apps & features.
- Step 3: Pick each of the VPN applications you do not need and hit Uninstall.
- Step 4: Lastly, restart your computer then launch your remaining application.
Disable & Re-enable
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + X to open the Quick Link Menu then select Device Manager.
- Step 2: Double click Network adapters to expand then right-click Network adapters.
- Step 3: Select Properties then go to the Driver tab.
- Step 4: Click Disable Device, then wait for a few minutes before enabling it again.
- Step 5: Restart your computer then check if the problem has been solved.
You suspect the firewall to be behind the failure to install TAP adapter? In that case, you must disable the firewall temporarily. Remember to re-enable the firewall once your issue has been solved.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Double-click Update & Security then pick Windows Security.
- Step 3: Select Open Windows Security and choose Firewall & network protection.
- Step 4: Click Domain network then toggle the switch below Microsoft Defender Firewall to “disabled”.
- Step 5: Choose Private network and toggle the switch below Microsoft Defender Firewall to “disabled”.
- Step 6: Pick Public network then toggle the switch below Microsoft Defender Firewall to “disabled”.
- Step 7: Close Settings and determine whether the issue persists.
If the solutions above failed to solve your issue, you can reinstall Windows while using the “keep my files” option. The Media Creation Tool will come in handy in this scenario.
- Step 1: Launch your web browser, visit the Microsoft website and download the Media Creation Tool.
- Step 2: Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to run the Media Creation Tool so hit Run.
- Step 3: Read all the terms and conditions then hit Accept.
- Step 4: Select Upgrade this PC now and choose Next.
- Step 5: On the next window, ensure that the box beside Keep personal apps and files is checked then click Install.
- Step 6: After the installation is successful, choose the account you want to sign in with then accept the terms.
- Step 7: Once you have signed in, install your VPN first and see if it is working before proceeding to reinstall other applications.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a VPN work?
A VPN works by routing your device’s internet connection through a chosen VPN’s private server instead of your Internet Service Provider. VPN will connect you to a private server first then scramble data to make it difficult for third parties to track.
Can VPN alter the network speed?
VPNs are known for increasing/reducing the speed of your network. If you are using servers far away from your location, you will have a slow connection. That is because data has a lot of distance to cover with bottlenecks and server points. The greater the distance between your location and the server you’re connecting to, the slower your Internet speed. VPN can speed up your connection when your internet service provider throttles connections.
Tips And Tricks
- As a precaution, refrain from using VPN services.
- Read reviews from previous users before proceeding to download or subscribe to a VPN service.
- Need to save on money? Pay for an annual subscription rather than monthly plans.
- Turn on your VPN when booking for rental and flight tickets to avoid high booking rates.