Released on 30 October 2002, Age of Mythology is one of the iconic titles of the real-time strategy games genre. However, as time passes, many people start experiencing a host of issues as they play Age of Mythology. Needless to say, since Age of Mythology is a PC game, one common topic about the game is how to get Age of Mythology to work on Windows 10. Read to the end if you like to know more about that as well.
Age of Mythology Not Working: Overview
Corruption, outdated graphics drivers, malware, incompatible resolution, compatibility issues and so on tend to complicate operations of Age of Mythology. On the bright side, if you know what must be done, you could get the game to launch with relative ease.
How To Get Age of Mythology Working
Generally speaking, people have all sorts of opinions once it comes to Age of Mythology not working. Still, if you like to learn how to get Age of Mythology to work on Windows 10, try out these solutions.
Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
As the game was released a long time ago, its drivers used for piracy protection have become obsolete. Thus, Age of Mythology could have a hard time working on the latest version of Windows. Fortunately, there is a fix: compatibility mode.
- Step 1: Right-click Age of Mythology shortcut icon, choose Properties and go to the Compatibility tab.
- Step 2: Tick the Run this program in compatibility mode for option and choose Windows XP SP2 via the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Close Properties, right-click Age of Mythology shortcut icon again and pick Run as an administrator
On occasions, antivirus programs interfere with the performance of game files which leads to disruption. Hence, if you notice that Age of Mythology won’t work on your Windows 10 computer, disable your antivirus program.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, select Update & Security and choose Windows Security.
- Step 2: Select Virus & threat protection then locate “Virus & threat protection settings”
- Step 3: Click Manage settings, turn off “Real-time protection if off, leaving your device vulnerable” and launch Age of Mythology.
Responsible for updating games back in the old days of DirectX API, DirectPlay dictates the way Age of Mythology works. However, in new versions of Windows such as Windows 10, DirectPlay is disabled by default and that could result in performance issues.
- Step 1: Search Turn Windows in the Windows search bar then choose the Turn Windows features on or off.
- Step 2: Navigate to Legacy Components, check “DirectPlay” and press OK.
Update GPU Drivers
Unable to recall the last time updated drivers of your graphic card? Then there is a good chance that the obsolescence of graphic card drivers is preventing Age of Mythology from working. By updating the drivers, the game should work once again.
- Step 1: Press Windows key + R to open the Run, type devmgmt.msc and hit OK to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Navigate to Display adapters then expand ir
- Step 3: Right-click the display driver, choose Update Driver, and select Search automatically for drivers.
Afterward, Windows would scan, download and install the latest driver updates for your graphic card. With the graphics drivers up-to-date, restart your PC, launch Age of Mythology when the screen comes back on and see how things turn out.
Uninstall And Reinstall
If none of the above bring positive changes, you must consider the possibility that your version of Age of Mythology is corrupted and can longer work. In that case, you could only uninstall and reinstall the game.
- Step 1: Locate Age of Mythology, right-click it and select Uninstall.
- Step 2: You will be forwarded to the uninstall section. Proceed to remove Age of Mythology and delete all associated files.
- Step 3: Restart your PC and reinstall Age of Mythology.
Note: depending on where you get the installer for Age of Mythology, you need to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP. In any case, wait for the installation to complete, close the installer and launch the Age of Mythology like normal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How Can I Change The Game Speed In Age of Mythology?
You cannot change the game speed in the Age of Mythology as it doesn’t support any built-in settings. However, you can use various cheat codes to make everything in-game slower or faster as you see fit.
How Does Empowering Work In the Age of Mythology?
Empowering doesn’t speed up a collection like the instructions claim. Instead, whenever a villager visits a building where he/she is enabled to dump his resources, you will receive a free 20% boost in resources. For instance, if a villager collects 10 food and goes to an empowered granary, you will receive 12 food.