Wrong taskbar settings can make issues like “when I minimize a window, it disappears Windows 10” to emerge and the best solution is to correct your taskbar settings. You can also check if the error appears on clean boot, run DISM and SFC scans, and perform an in-place upgrade. This article has great highlights on how to get permanently rid of this error.
What Might Have Gone Wrong
The presence of corrupted files can complicate operations on your computer and the minimizing
windows is not an expedition. Thus, during discussions about “when I minimize a window, it disappears Windows 10”, corruption is one of the leading theories. Files can become corrupted for a lot of reasons ranging from malicious applications to the obsolescence of the operating system.
While third-party applications improve the experience of Windows users, they can act up on occasions and come into conflict with features of the system. Windows on your PC keep disappearing every time you hit the Minimize button? Then you should take third-party applications into account.
For your information, Windows users can hide windows on their computers to maintain privacy by enabling the “Hide when minimized” option. As the name suggests, Hide when minimized is going to hide windows once minimized instead of leaving them on the Taskbar.
How To Put An End To The Disappearance
Apply Changes To Taskbar Settings
If the sudden disappearance only affect specific applications, you may have enabled the Hide when minimized option for them. Things would return to normal when you disable the option via Taskbar settings.
- Step 1: Right-click an empty space on the taskbar then select Taskbar settings.
- Step 2: Scroll down and click Select which icons appear on the Taskbar.
- Step 3: Turn on the toggle for apps that keep vanishing and exit.
- Step 4: Right-click the icon of applications with disappearance issues at the bottom right corner of your taskbar
- Step 5: Unselect Hide when minimized in that menu.
Upon clean boot, Windows will start with basic drivers and programs so it will help you determine whether a third-party application is behind the disappearance.
- Step 1: Press Windows key + R to open the window.
- Step 2: Type msconfig then hit Enter to open the System Configuration.
- Step 3: Navigate to Services Tab, select Hide all Microsoft services and select Disable all.
- Step 4: Go to the Startup tab then select Open Task Manager.
- Step 5: On the Startup in Task Manager, for each item, select once and pick Disable.
- Step 6: Close the Task Manager then go to the Startup tab and hit OK.
- Step 7: Restart your computer
Note: After the clean boot is complete, remember to boot to normal startup using the following steps
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + R to open the Run window.
- Step 2: Type msconfig then hit Enter.
- Step 3: On the General Tab, select the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
- Step 4: When prompted, click Restart.
If you identified an application that is causing the error, you will need to uninstall and reinstall it then check if the issue is solved.
Run DISM And SFC
Whenever you experience errors like minimized windows disappearing, DISM and SFC scans will come to your rescue. DISM, short for Deployment Image Servicing and Management, is a utility in Windows that detects and fixes corrupt files. In the case of System File Checker (SFC), it scans and repairs Windows system files.
- Step 1: Press Windows key + R to open the Run Dialog
- Step 2: Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth then hit Enter.
- Step 3: After the process is done, type sfc /scannow then hit Enter.
- Step 4: Restart your computer then check if the problem has been resolved.
An In-Place Upgrade installs Windows without removing the older version of Windows in your computer. It will be able to replace any missing or corrupt system files. Before performing an In-Place Upgrade, disable any third-party antivirus software to prevent interruptions.
- Step 1: Visit the Microsoft website and download the Media Creation Tool.
- Step 2: After the download is complete, you will be prompted to run the tool so click Run.
- Step 3: The setup will open automatically, read the terms and conditions then choose Accept.
- Step 4: Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next.
- Step 5: On the next window, select what to keep then click Install.
- Step 6: Once the installation is complete, choose the account you want to sign in with then accept the privacy terms.
- Step 7: Sign in to your account then check if your issue has been solved
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to restart my computer if the taskbar is frozen?
You can restart your computer without using the taskbar by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open security options, click on the power icon on the bottom right then select restart.
What should I do if my taskbar disappears?
The taskbar may be set to Auto Hide so it disappears automatically when the mouse pointer has moved away from the Taskbar. The taskbar coils also vanish when the display has changed. If the display has changed, you should be able to resume to normal display by pressing Windows key + P then select “PC screen only”.
Tips And Tricks
- For quick access, pin websites as Apps to the taskbar.
- Move the taskbar to any location you can access with ease.
- Hide Cortana Search box to create more space.
- Use Peek to preview the desktop without closing or minimizing all your open windows.