In the event of Windows 10 update stuck at 82 percent, there are possibilities that there is an error with Windows Update and you will have to restart it. Additionally, you can run Windows update troubleshooter, disable antivirus programs, remove external attachments, and use the Media Creation Tool. To get Windows Update to 100 percent, follow all the guidelines mentioned in this article.
Update Percentage Getting Stuck: Possibilities
Windows Update Service
Many things participate in the update of Windows but not many prove as important as Windows Update Service. If Windows Update Service experiences issues, the update of Windows would go haywire and stuck update percentage is a prime example.
External attachments such as printers, DVD drives, hard disks and so on could get in the way of OS updates. For instance, if you connect issue-prone attachments to your PC, the update process could ground to a halt on occasions.
In the course of operation, antivirus programs would keep computers out of harm’s way. As soon as antivirus programs detect malicious activities that threaten PCs, they would immediately intercept. Nonetheless, from time to time, antivirus programs could overreact and stop run-of-the-mill computer operations like the update of Windows operating system.
How To Wrap Up Windows Updates
Restart Windows Update Service
- Step 1: Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type CMD then hit Enter to open Command Prompt.
- Step 3: Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter after each command.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Step 4: Start up the service again by typing the following commands then hit Enter after each command.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Step 5: Close the Command prompt, restart your computer and update Windows one more time.
Run Update Troubleshooter
In case you don’t know, Windows 10 contains multiple built-in troubleshooters that resolve all sorts of system issues. Regarding the stuck update percentage, it’s a good idea to try out the troubleshooter for Windows Update.
- Step 1: Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type control then hit Enter to open the Control Panel.
- Step 3: Click Troubleshooting then select System and Security.
- Step 4: Pick Windows Update then hit Next to start troubleshooting.
- Step 5: Follow onscreen instructions, restart your computer when the troubleshooting concludes and update Windows again as the screen comes back on.
Disable Antivirus Programs
If you suspect that your antivirus program is responsible for the Windows 10 update stuck at 82 percent, disable it temporarily. Next, initiate the update for Windows OS and see the result. Assuming that the update proceed from start to finish smoothly, feel free to re-enable your antivirus program.
Remove External Attachments
- Step 1: Power down your computer
- Step 2: Disconnect all attachments including power cords then wait for at least twenty minutes. Your computer is a laptop? Then remove the battery if possible.
- Step 3: Turn on your computer then plug in the mouse and keyboard.
- Step 4: Update Windows again
Media Creation Tool
Windows 10 Media Creation Tool is a free utility developed by Microsoft that helps people upgrade Windows 10 to its latest version.
- Step 1: Open your web browser, visit Microsoft website and go to Windows Software Download page
- Step 2: Click Download Tool Now below Create Windows 10 installation media
- Step 3: Once the download wraps up, follow the prompts to complete the installation
- Step 4: Open Media Creation Tool, hit Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- Step 5: When the Windows download is complete, select your own preferred choices like keep only your files then click Install.
- Step 6: After the installation is complete, check if your error persists
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I turn off my computer during the Windows update?
During the update, your computer will display the “do not turn off your computer” message and it’s wise to obey that. If you proceed to turn your computer off, there are a number of outcomes. One of them is that when you restart your computer, the update will pick up from where you left but this time around, there might be a delay. In the worst-case scenario, the interruption of Windows updates would lead to the corruption of your operating system.
Can I update Windows offline?
If you already have the update files on your PC, you do not need to be connected to the Internet to start the update. With offline updates, there are benefits: low chances of update failures, flexibility of schedule and fast update process.
Tips And Tricks
- Set your computer to update automatically.
- Regularly backup data to the cloud.
- For ease of convenience, use a third-party driver manager to update drivers